Thursday, August 7, 2008

STATUS: writer's block

i've tried everything:


____- sitting in dimly lit cafes for in excess of 3 hours
____- all the usual songs that inspire me
____- reading
____- the brutal memory of history

(and still the last 10 pages of my notebook have big fat crosses through them). Sure, there were some hopeful moments:

____- the truth is, home is a variable concept: sometimes person, sometimes object, and sometimes, as Martha put it: there's just no where to go home to.

____- And your eyes you say are greenest when you cry.
_____I walked along a beach once, found various rocks,
_______dipped them in the water and hoped to see 
_______you looking back at me. 

____- i wear cities like t-shirts

____- NOTAPOEM (HOMECOMINGOING PRAYER)
Familiar or not, I see gravestones with my name on them- to come or I'm already in I can't tell, I see shadows that dream their own dream and hum their own lullabies and I get scared if this town's a place I've already died in, or that's dead to me, or if we're dancing towards it now. 
____And her fingernails grow across the river, and I eat a meal without glancing at the menu for the first time in years: bowl of weeds, powdered minerals, and a glass of liquid- reflective as a mirror so I drink my head back into myself and see with double-vision till I urinate later. 
____And familiar heads smile at me and expect me to grow roots, and once gone always gone I say, and wait for my jet-lag (still a ghost of another time zone) to rescue me into a sleep I should already be in- sleeping on the floor in another gravitational field where up is still a half-unrealistic possibility amongst all the other non-possibilities. 
But the truth is... i've got nothing. 
We'll all just have to wait till it comes back. 
Until then... i have alot in me i can't seem to exhale. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How is it that I pity and envy you at the same time?

-Anon2