Sunday, August 24, 2008

STATUS: writer's block

THINGS I'VE DONE TO OVERCOME (SAID) WRITER'S BLOCK, A LIST:
  1. listen to an entire Calla cd
  2. take a long walk wearing heavy scarf and pea-coat
  3. sit in a coffee shop for hours, alone, scribbling in notebook
  4. listen to Portishead's Third album in its entirety.
  5. is it winter? (yes it is)
  6. contemplate how i came to be here
  7. contemplate how i don't know how to escape here
  8. wrote the following inspirational slogans into (said) notebook:
    ____- Run Orestes, Run!
    ____- Bye Bye LA
    ____- Problems I Had While Trying to Write the Short-Story Bye Bye LA, A Short-Story About Not Being Able to Write a (Different) Short-Story (Also: A Tale of Two, and More, Cities)
    ____- no bears were harmed in the making of TOMS shoes!
    ____- Christ returns!... (when 200 million people wear TOMS shoes)
  9. drank hot chocolate
  10. read previous of my own writings that i do not hate (and one i actually really liked)
  11. avoided reading Ulysses (it makes me feel dumb and small)

POSSIBLE REASONS I CANNOT WRITE, A LIST:
  1. Ulysses makes me feel dumb and small. Also, it's heavy and i'm tired of carrying it around everywhere. I must get through the remaining 96 pages quickly!
  2. i am too busy thinking up possible TOMS slogans and giggling to myself
  3. i am neither in love nor depressed. i write best when i am in love, or depressed. (can someone please bewitch/seduce/or infatuate me, or alternatively, please send all correspondence indicating things i ought to be depressed about to the email at the bottom of the screen
  4. i am trying too hard to 'get it out'. it is a shy rabbit
  5. i am not enough alone- despite my occasional attempts at it
  6. i have not done anything 'exciting', 'raw', or supremely disappointing in nearly four years
  7. maybe i just need a break... just to let everything that's happened settle. i always write best retrospectively anyway
  8. i do not have any books (except Ulysses) near me. I, like Shohleh, and like Virgina Woolf and Sylvia Plath before us, are most inspired by other people's writing
  9. i am too busy scheming how to be a notaloser, which requires much time

WAYS YOU CAN HELP ME OVERCOME (SAID) WRITER'S BLOCK, A LIST:
  1. make me fall in love with you (preferred)
  2. make me depressed (not really preferred)
  3. email or comment me silly, absurd, meaningful, interesting things that you think would tickle my literary bone
  4. email or comment questions, topics, random nonsense you'd like to see me work with (write about, do variations on, ponder
i can't even listograph anymore.

freak_ing ANnoying. (typographical artsy-fartsyness to represent my actual pronunciation of (said) curse)


PERSON(S) I MISSED THE MOST TODAY:
Ashtree, Mona

PERSON(S) I MISSED THE MOST YESTERDAY:
Liam, Mar

PERSON(S) I MISSED THE MOST THE DAY BEFORE THAT:
Ashtree, Mar, Mona

PERSON(S) I MISSED THE MOST THE DAY BEFORE THE DAY BEFORE THAT:
Emerson, Liam

.
.
.
.
&c


CLAUSE: list compiled includes only the people i would see regularly in a social fashion, or at least speak to soo regularly that it may as well have been seeing in a regular and social fashion, and does not take anything away from many many (many) other people whom i miss equally much but have not seen regularly (so as to be considered in "a regular and social fashion") over the last most recent bracket of near-history which has now completed. Had those people been considered for the above (said) list, it would have been much longer. (much longer) (much longer).
CONFESSION: now i feel bad that i might offend people by not having put them on said list.
COUNTER-CONFESSION: i'm slightly too tired to care right now. (also, kind of still annoyed from not having had anything to write about, so, forgive me this one occasion)

whatever. bye.
(haha)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

absence does not make the heart grow fonder.... it simply creates a count down calendar.

always heart for you... around about an 8.

a penny for the old guy said...

dude.
come_here_now.

why not?
you could.