Sunday, June 15, 2008

Tabula Rasa; Concerto for 2 Violins and Prepared-Piano by Arvo Part

boomp3.com


II. SILENTUIM

It's a slowing of time, of distance dissolving
____I thought it's a love song?
That's what I said.
____and a merging of memories into man?
and two violins into souls speaking
____(no words needed
(obviously)

____And the melody climbs in thirds.
(since falling in love is like climbing a cloud)
____falling?
look around you, we're already floating
____(and my body is a hand holding a string,
____and my soul a kite floating too high to be seen.
Olympus?
____(or beyond)
Paris in Spring?
____(or beyond)
A yellow couch in a desert?
____(sometimes).

Someone said it's a cleaning of. clearing of. renewal of.
____I thought it's a love song?
That's what I said.
____And a merging of sorrows into man?
and two violins into mountains during an earthquake
____(two strings are soo loud)

____And each repeat the notes are longer: crotchets now minims
(since falling in love is like freezing
____(like being a tree?
(what could be better?
____(of clouds coming apart:
____open your mouth,
____I can taste the flight of birds,
____the ascent of spirits
(the arrows of cupids)

____ssshhh. it's only whispers now.

[the rest whispered]

It's a forgiveness of words, a conclusion to history.
____I thought it's a love song?
That's what I said.
____(the formation of future)
(a spell cast on infinity)
____(a dream heard in the wind)
(silence at last)
____(I thought it's a love song?)

[nod]

2 comments:

alexandra said...

that song. i don't have words

a penny for the old guy said...

i've written this poem three times.
i've never got it right.

conclusion:
there are no words.

(the first movement, Ludus, is equally miraculous) (as is just about everything the man composes)